Pages

Saturday 7 December 2013

The Bad Weather Continues......

This week started off to be nice, weather-wise, however it has since deteriorated with rain and low cloud being dominant. I have therefore only managed to complete 2 flights since last week. My first flight was my 7th Navigation flight and I made a trip from Hamilton towards Port Waikato, then to Thames enroute to Tauranga, where I made a touch and go before returning to Hamilton.

You can see the track that I took for this flight below, with each point taken every 2 minutes. There was only 1 leg where I ended up a bit off track (the one at the top) but it was easily fixable and I was therefore happy with the resulting flight. My second flight of the week was IF4 which meant I was back under the hood for a southerly trip, before a couple of diversions and then a recap on what I had done so far in all the IF flights.


Nav 7 Track

After Tuesday, the weather then got worse and I have therefore had to cancel the same flight (#032) 3 times. Baring in mind that I have already cancelled it 3 times before, its a total of 6 cancellations for the same flight.


Thames Estuary

Away from flying, a few of us from our course went 'Drift Karting' a few nights ago. Apparently the track we went to was the world's first drift-karting track and it is a must-do for anyone visiting New Zealand. With not much grip and slippery surfaces, it allows for some great drifting around corners and is such great fun. We will be definitely returning some time soon.


High Ground Approaching Tauranga from Thames

On Friday night, we had our first CTC 'Cadet Function'. These functions are held quarterly throughout the year at the training centre, and their purpose is to congratulate everyone who has achieved at CTC within the last 3 months; first solos, PT1 Passes (the first progress test) and Licence issues are the 3 things that we get certificates for. We were also treated to speeches from senior management at CTC and Airways NZ (the people who run Air Traffic Control). After this, we were then offered a hog roast which I had 3 servings of, before having 2 servings of Mr Whippy from an on-site 'Ice Cream Van'.

Thats it for this week, hopefully this awful weather will get better soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment